On October 2, 2020, the Government of Ontario issued O. Reg 541/20 under the Condominium Act, 1998 (the “Act”), which extends certain temporary legislative amendments under the Act until May 31, 2021.
So what does this mean for your condo?
In a nutshell, all condos can continue to hold virtual meetings and vote electronically without a by-law until May 31, 2021.
Under the new regulation, the following will also be extended until May 31, 2021:
- notices for directors meetings may be sent by electronic communication whether or not the by-laws specify otherwise;
- directors meetings can be held by teleconference without the consent of all of the directors; and
- anything required to be given to an owner or mortgagee under the Act with respect to a meeting may be given by electronic means, even if an owner or mortgagee has not entered into an agreement to receive notices electronically.
So you can still send your Notice of Meeting packages by email as long as you have an email and you don’t need the consent of the owner! Think about all those hard copy notices that you no longer need.
Aside from the above, the Government of Ontario has not extended the time frames for holding annual general meetings. Therefore the following dates and timelines still apply:
- If the last date to hold your AGM is between March 17th and July 24th, 2020-you can hold your meeting up to and including October 22, 2020
- If the last date to hold your AGM falls between July 25th and August 24th, 2020, you can hold your AGM up to and including November 21, 2020.